Tuesday, May 10, 2011

And the walls come tumbling down...

Well, hello, family and friends! A lot has happened since I last posted. Seriously. Haha. I don't have a lot of time right now, but I'll post a bit about the Jericho field trip we had yesterday.

Jericho is in the West Bank, which is technically controlled by the Palestinian Authority, so we made it a half-day field trip. This means the bus left at 7:00 AM and we got back at 1:00 PM. It was a good field trip, but very hot, regardless of the fact that we went early in the day. Haha.

We started off by overlooking Wadi Qelt from a lookout place called Saint George. (No, we were not in Utah. That I know of. My friend and I were joking that they really didn't bring us to Israel, but they're just convincing us that we're here). Anyways, this place was one of my favorites that we went to for the day, because it was the location of the parable of the Good Samaritan. We read the parable here, and it really brought the story to life. We saw a path similar to the one Christ would have walked on in His time (which is also the path of the Good Samaritan). It's different than I expected, but it was neat. And there was absolutely no shade anywhere. Here's a picture of that path:


After that, we finished traveling to Jericho. Once there, we saw THE ZACHARIAS TREE spoken of in Luke 19. THE VERY ONE. Except probably not. But it's the one that represents the one Zacaharias climbed in Luke 19. Neat. My friend Becca loves this story because she's small.

Here's a picture of me in front of it:


Then we got to Jericho: THE LOWEST CITY ON EARTH. And claimed to be the Oldest City on Earth. It's 850 feet below Sea Level, and it's got the oldest man-made tower ever found: it dates back to the Neolithic Period and is TEN THOUSAND YEARS OLD. I'm not even kidding. Here's a picture of me and some pals in Jericho:


After that I saw the wall that fell down when Joshua conquered the city for the Israelites. It's cool how when the walls fell, they kind of built a ramp right up to the city. SO NEAT. Here's my friend Becca and me in front of that wall:


Finally, we visited King Herod's winter palace. This place was super cool. We could just wander through it! My favorite was his bathroom. The bathtub reminded me of the bathtub in the Prefect's Bathroom in Harry Potter. I'll leave you with a picture of that:


No comments:

Post a Comment