Wednesday, May 11, 2011

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE PAST FEW DAYS.

There are a lot of things I haven't posted about. Behold:

The Dome of the Rock. I went there on Sunday and it was so peaceful. There were way fewer people there than I expected. It's right next to the Western Wall (because the Western Wall used to be the retaining wall for Herod's temple, which was where the Dome of the Rock currently stands). Yet, despite the fact of the close proximity of the sites, there is a warning from the State of Israel telling Jewish people not to visit the site of the Dome of the Rock, as well as for Muslims to not visit the Western Wall (which is technically an outdoor synagogue). So, somehow, traffic was kept pretty low between the two places. But I love them both. To the right you can see a picture of me at the Dome of the Rock.


Israeli Independence Day. Israeli Independence day started on Monday night at sundown, and we went and celebrated in the city! We had a huge dance party on the corner of Ben Yehuda and King George street, before the party even really started, and all of these Israeli people were taking pictures of the Americans dancing at their Independence Day party. Haha. It was fun, though. Also, we walked all around the city, eating, buying treats, buying souvenirs, and, at the end, the entire Jerusalem Center crew got together in Independence Park to watch fireworks. Since we don't get to celebrate our own independence day while we are here, we made the most of the Israeli Independence Day. To the left is a picture of my friends Lizzie, Krystalee, Amber (creeping in the background), and myself on Ben Yehuda Street.


Playing the YMCA Bell Tower in the middle of Jerusalem. Our branch President, President Ohman, plays a belltower in the middle of Jerusalem on Sunday mornings, and he invited us to come and watch. So we went. And he let some of us play it!!! I got to play "Abide With Me" on a huge bell tower in the middle of Jerusalem. It is probably the biggest crowd I have ever performed for. Haha. But it was so cool! I got a video, but it's way to huge for me to post it. So, for now, this picture of me standing triumphantly in front of the bell tower will have to suffice.




1 comment:

  1. Jefferson. I had no. idea. That you were across the world seeing giant domes and being inspired! I'm glad you commented on my blog so I could stock you and find all this out. We need to be better friends in the future.

    ReplyDelete